Monday, September 12, 2005

Books from the book fair

I waited till the last day to go to the book fair. Despite the change in venue a lot of people went to the event. And I probably know now why they switched venue from a mall to the World Trade Center along Roxas. After several years, NBS and Powerbooks participated in the event.

There really was a lot of people there, We had to wait in line for 30 minutes before getting in. It was worth it. I ended up buying some Filipiniana books, most of them from the NHI booth, must be the influence of Ambeth Ocampo - the present chairman of NHI. I regularly follow his column in the Philippine Daily Inquirer and re-read a lot of his books.

Some of the books I was able to get hold of:

Tristes Recuerdos Manila

The book is a pictorial album of the Philippine revolution against Spain. Tristes Recuerdos means Sad Memories and it must not be forgotten that for the Spaniards the revolution, which they called El Gran Catastrophe or Great Catastrophe, heralded the end of their empire. The album certain events from August 30 to September 4, 1896. In particular an uprising of the Katipunan led locally by Sancho Valenzuela. Its an interesting set of memorabilia from the past. Among the photos were shots of executed Sancho Valenzuela and three others - Modesto Sarmiento, Eugenio Silvestre, and Ramon Peralta.

The Miag-ao Church: A Historical Landmark

Miag-ao Church is one of the most beautiful church in the Philippines. The book details the history of the churh and the improvements that were done to it. It also details the reason it was a heritage. I also liked this book because it reminds me of the days I went to that church for two years. A few kilometers from the town of Miag-ao is the University of the Philippines in the Visayas , my alma mater for my Bachelor of Science Degree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home